Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mmm, This Cake Tastes Like New Brunswick

(some background music while you read)

Being a baker's son, I've always loved cake; black forest, angel food, sponge, you name it!  Yet just because I love cake, doesn't mean I don't need a reminder every now and then.  In fact because I love it, more often than not I want to eat all the cake, which is why last week when my parents came to Moncton, New Brunswick, for the first time, I was reminded why I love the east coast so much.


Not even sure if it was my birthday... Sometimes I just like to blow out candles.
At mom and dad's in Russell, MB, 2007... or 2008?

 
Through a series of quite fortunate events in my life, this was the first summer in, well, ever I guess, that I was unable to go on a summer trip.  Talk about a serious first world problem!  Also note that I did mean to say "fortunate events", so it's not as if I had a rough summer by any means.  In fact I don't think I've ever had a summer with so many random weekend getaways, so in a sense it was a bunch of mini vacations, but more on those later.  The point being this was the summer that I didn't go to see people, but they instead came to see me; including my brother in July then my folks in August. 
  
 
The old man and I at Cape Enrage, which ALWAYS reminds me of that scene from Inception!  You know the one!
Bay of Fundy, NB, August 2013.

My mom and I at Parlee Beach.  I must really have a thing for those shorts...
Shediac, NB, August 13 2013.

Initially I was a little bummed out at not getting my annual dose of western Canada, be it Vancouver, Banff, Calgary, Russell, Toronto, or any of my other old stomping grounds, but I have to say that even in my state of withdrawal and disarray (it really was a first world problem... I especially missed Banff) I was excited for my parents to finally experience the place I have come to love so much!  And truthfully it just goes to show that it's not the what or the where, but the who that really matters.  Your own back yard can be Disneyland if you let it be, and it took two people in their mid fifties to remind me how awesome a staycation can be!  After all I got to show them a bunch of my favourite places, trails, markets, restaurants, cafes, and hang outs, while touching base with some of the locals, and having all the comforts of home at the end of each day; golden.


SURPIRSE MOM!  I mainly added this picture because of the face she is making... But she sure did like the Moncton Market, and of course we'd be at a baker's booth... no cake, but I won't hold it against them.
Moncton, NB, August 2013. 

I'm pretty sure this was the only picture taken of all three of us from the entire week!  You can tell my dad is very happy about it too... He wasn't mad, that's just the way his face is.  On the contrary he quite enjoyed The Pumphouse Brewery.
Moncton, NB, August 2013.
 
Unless God has a real sick sense of humour, it is highly improbable that I will ever be a parent.  However with that said, I couldn't help but get excited for the things they were excited for!  How I would imagine a parent feeling on Christmas morning when little Johnny is tearing through that wrapping paper, with all the excitement and drive of a rabid hyena.


Yes, like this kid! 

Okay I'm not saying they were quite excited, but in regards to my parents, they definitely made "the face" (little camo boy up there) once or twice... hand motions included.  I'm not only referring to the big events in Moncton, but the every day things, which I sometimes take for granted.  From all the old brick buildings on Main Street, to just in general how green of a city Moncton really is.  Then of course there is the muddy wave that finds it's way up stream twice a day; that's right folks, I'm talking about Moncton's famed Tidal Bore




For those of you who don't know, the tidal bore is a natural phenomenon, which occurs every twelve or so hours, where the ocean tides cause a wave to come up stream, past down town Moncton.  Prior to their trip I had seen it roughly a dozen or times, so perhaps the novelty had just worn off somewhat, but for all you cynical folk who say it's not that great, let me tell you there is at least one 5'2 German woman from the prairies who would tell you otherwise; I'm talking of course about my mother.  In the seven days spent here, she must have gone to the river (which I live conveniently close to) at least five or six times, just to watch the wave come in... and her and I became quite fond of finding the biggest rocks we could carry and throwing them into the muddy banks, just to hear them go *splat*; small minds are easily amused.  Admittedly by their last morning, I was the one saying "Hey, are we going to check out the tidal bore?!"


Surf's up!  This particular wave holds the world record for the longest wave ever ridden; true story.
Moncton, NB, August 2013.



My mom with the satisfaction of having thrown a huge boulder in the Petitcodiac River bank.
Moncton, NB, August 2013. 

Their holiday was more than just muddy water and throwing rocks however.  My dad, who is typically a low-key kinda guy, was the real instigator in wanting to see/do things, as I repeatedly heard him say "who knows when we'll be back?"  True to his character, he did need some down time, but otherwise we did an abundance of exploring, the pinnacle of which occurred near the end of the trip, when we did the Fundy Coastal Drive; part of it anyway. 


Bridge Street on a sunny Saturday morning, where the coastal drive officially begins... well, close enough.
Sackville, NB, August 2013.
 
It was an early enough morning, especially considering 66% of us were running on central standard time (which is two hours earlier), but we're a "go while the going is good" kinda family, and had an objective of hitting Hopewell Rocks at absolute low tide, 8:31am... so at 8:30am we found ourselves descending the steps onto the ocean floor.  How's that for timing?  For an otherwise perfect week weather-wise, this particular morning was the only time it rained during their visit, and it lasted about ten minutes but you know what, it was the perfect ten minutes for it to rain, as it added to the whole effect.  I mean how maritime is that, standing at the iconic "flower pot rocks" in the rain; perfect!


Running to the safety of an over hanging rock... okay, the shot doesn't really capture the epic moment, but it was raining, so we were being careful.  Though my dad's camera cost more than all my worldly possessions combined, we didn't think to bring a five cent bag to keep it dry #fail
Bay of Fundy, NB, August 2013. 

The rain let up as we continued down the coast and onto more maritime glory.  As previously stated, I've been around, particularly in Canada, but the next destination that morning is arguably one of, if not my absolute favourite places in the world.  Yes of course (to anyone who knows me), I am talking about Cape Enrage.  The first time I experienced Cape Enrage was also on my first trip to New Brunswick oh-so-many years ago, I think I was nineteen at the time.  As a westerner it fulfilled my predetermined expectations of what the Maritimes were, including ocean (bay, technically... but it's big salty water, so it counts), cliffs, rocky beaches, a cool breeze, and yes, a lighthouse.  Years later I still get little boy excited every time I go, for all those reasons, and the fact that I now realize it would make a fantastic refuge in the event of zombies, seriously, keep that in mind when you go.


I always picture the edge of the world to look something like this, despite the fact you can see Nova Scotia on the other side... use some imagination... Seriously LOVE that beach/Cape Enrage.
Bay of Fundy, NB, August 2013. 
 
And up top on the cliffs!  You can't see it here, but there is a lighthouse literally ten feet to my left.
Bay of Fundy, NB, August 2013.
 
Of course, no Fundy Coastal Drive would be complete without a trip to Fundy National Park; that is until now.  By the time we pulled into Alma later that day (we were at the cape for quite some time) we were already starting to run mildly short on time, due to the fact that we had  other plans in Moncton later that afternoon.  Even though I didn't get to show them the park itself, which is arguably the best part (said the hiking junkie), I think mom and dad found every bit of eastern satisfaction they could have hoped for, right at the park's boarder in Alma, New Brunswick.  Where Cape Enrage leaves off, Alma picks up in regards to the maritime stereotypes, which in this case includes endless beach, crazy tides, fishing boats, lobster shacks, and at least one fish and chips shop!  Guess what we had for lunch?  Subway!  I'm kidding, it was fish and chips... and lobster rolls... and seafood chowder... if we didn't feel like tourists yet, let me assure you it was mission accomplished!


Yup, the staple diet of every Maritimer!  This is what we eat out here; we're all about the health food.
Alma, NB, August 2013.

Some pirates making my dad their bitch!  I give him a hard time, but he's always a good sport.
Alma, NB, August 2013.

Why have one lobster when you can have ALL the lobster?!  That shop smelled like the ocean after coupon night... whatever that means.
Alma, NB, August 2013.
 
And alas, a local secret that only us good easterners know about (even though I'm not technically one, I've been here long enough to learn a thing or two), and that is no trip to Alma/Fundy is complete without stopping at Kelly's Bake Shop, which is famed for it's glorious cinnamon buns!  Being a retired baker, my dad's objective in any new setting is to seek out and critique the nearest bakery, and I have to say that he definitely gave his nod of approval to Kelly and her buns!  As for me... I've never killed a person... but if someone were to pay in in those particular baked rolls of sheer ecstasy, I'd consider it...



Standing outside of Kelly's Bake Shop with our bags of cinnamon buns, or as the local Acadian folk call them "Pets de Soeurs"; google it.
Alma, NB, August 2013.
 
Then just like that, seven days had come and gone, and I was once more standing in the airport, wearing a tear soaked shirt; my mother's tears, not mine... what can ya do?  Sure I would have loved for them to stay another week, heck, make it a month, because when it comes to New Brunswick (much like the rest of Canada) there is simply so much to see!  I mean it!  For all you locals out there who say it's nothing special, or it's too boring, I challenge you to walk or drive twenty minutes in any direction and you'll come across at least one thing that'll make you stop and go "Huh... that's cool."  I know this because every day on my walk to work that exact thing happens to me, and let me tell you that with a renewed faith from the fresh minds of a particular middle aged couple, I have a hunch this is going to start happening more often.

It's a gorgeous place, in a big country, on the greatest planet in the galaxy (primarily because we'd die on any of the others... which is kind of a buzz kill) and according to Professor Brian Cox, it's only going to be around for another five (or so) billion years, so get out there and see what it has to offer, because times a wastin'!  As for me, life now returns to the same level of normality as before, but the best part is that because I never left, the holiday and all it's perks just keeps on rolling.  At it's core that's what makes the east coast so incredible, it is whatever you want it to be!  The people will always be great, the tidal bore will still come in twice a day, and I'm pretty sure there will even be a few rocks down by the river just waiting to be tossed... cake or no cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment